- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: United States, Puerto Rico
- Program Delivery: Residential, Online
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: One Week, Four Weeks, Semester
- Start Month: January, April, July, August, September
- Category: Performing & Visual Arts
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Dorm, Homestay, Student Apartment
- Application Fee: $50
- Affiliation: Gap Year Association
- Financial Aid: Payment Terms
- Minimum Cost: < $1,000
- Call: (347) 606-0798
- Meeting: Schedule a Meeting
Pizarts Dance Gap Year is like no other program. As creatives, independent contractors, curators we strive to facilitate a space where the curious can come find their voice, explore their passions, search for what matters most to them in this current moment in life. We are artists mentors who have worked for decades in the industry and we have learned one thing. Each path is unique like the person you are and with our approach we teach you about film, how to tell your story and thrive.
Pizarts strives to help dancers Dig Deep within one's movement practice and Discover More of society through means of art and community engagement.
- Curate a performance.
- Community engagement through dance pedagogy (the art of teaching)
- Perform and network with dancers of various countries.
- Choreograph meaningful works. Acquire the skills to live independently.
- Present a competitive portfolio with a minimum of three professional films.
- Establish new friendships and unforgettable memories.
Dance Gap Year Areas of Focus
- Technique & Composition: Technique classes, multidisciplinary workshops, choreography lab with a final performance.
- Pedagogy: Teaching methods and style approach. Learn the build-up and breakdown of a 90-minute class.
- Arts & Life Management: Lecture classes in dance history, business management, and practical living practices.
- Cultural Exchange (Arts & Humanities): Public performances and community classes led by participants are included in a required 60-hour internship.
- Film Production: Pre, during and post production set up with crew, to learn how to design a treatment, direct a film, perform for the camera and edit your story. Three film projects include behind the camera, infront of the camera, and filming.
Participants are required to upload:
- Interview via phone or Skype with DGY staff
- A filled out the application
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- A resume and two dance photos (head shot-active shot)
- Two-page essay about self
- Video clip up to 90 seconds
Cost and Session Information
Puerto Rico Sample:
- Travel to and from the airport
- Dorm style beach house living (two beds per room) in walking distance to the ocean.
- 3 Yoga sessions
- 1 Surfing lesson
- 3 Spanish conversation lessons with breakfast
- 1 Dinner on the beach
- 1 Community Engagement Workshop (teaching youth, helping local non-profit organizations)
- 2 Cultural Trip Options: Bioluminescent Bay, El San Juan, El Yunque [rainforest], Culebra or Vieques
- 3 Dance Related Sessons (Bomba, Contemporary Jazz, Salsa)
New York Sample
- Housing (seperate fee/optional)
- Group classes with renowned artists in the field 1:1 private mentorship
- Photoshoot for your dance portfolio (editorial style)
- Headshots for your portfolio
- 3 Professional videos for your reel
- A production crew for your individual film project
- NYC Culture Tours
- Professional development plan and tailored mentorship