- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: United States
- Program Delivery: Day
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: Academic Year, Quarter
- Start Month: February, May, June, August, November
- Category: Career Exploration
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Not Available
- Application Fee: $21
- Minimum Cost: < $1,000
As a Health Scholar, you will gain firsthand experience in both clinical and administrative health care settings and become an integral part of the care delivery team. This program is offered year-round with enrollment occurring every quarter.
You will assist with basic care for patients alongside nurses, physicians and other members of the care delivery team, and have opportunities to learn the “business” of health care, preparing you for your health care career.
Why Health Scholar?
- Decide if a career in health care is right for you and which profession is the best fit
- Fulfill clinical experience hours required or preferred by medical, nursing and other graduate programs in health care
- Gain an inside view of medical specialties as you rotate through many areas in the hospital or ambulatory care setting every three months
- Gain the experience employers look for in candidates
- Develop relationships with health care staff and leaders within your program site
- Receive a completion certificate from UCLA’s Executive Programs in Health Policy & Management.
- Join over 34,000 alumni as a COPE Connect member and connect with health care leaders, access expert guidance and career advice and receive member-only discounts.
Scholars must be accepted to, enrolled in or graduated from an accredited college or university and must be at least 18 years old by the application deadline for the entering cohort they wish to enroll in. We do not have any pre-requisite course requirements. If you are accepted into the program, you will be required to attend a mandatory 3- or 4-day training where we will provide you with all the information you need to know to be a successful Health Scholar.
Upon graduation, scholars will receive a completion certificate from UCLA’s Executive Programs in Health Policy & Management. The program is offered at various health care sites throughout California, Washington and Hawaii.