- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: South Africa
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Academic Year, Semester, Quarter, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Other
- Financial Aid: Not Available
- Minimum Cost: $1,000 - $2,999
This Edge of Africa program is focused on giving back and empower local communities in South Africa.
As students learn about South Africa's unique heritage and culture, they will participate in community volunteer projects designed to educate and help those from communities struck with poverty. Students will work directly with primary school children to elderly members of the community. Through this experience, they will make many connections with the local people as well as with fellow volunteers. They can expect support groups, working in soup kitchens, cultural activities, excursions, HIV awareness workshops, and much more! Clearly, this is an extremely worthwhile and fulfilling cause. Students will have plenty of fun experiencing a new culture as well as making positive contributions to the communities!