- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: None
- Program Length: Academic Year, Other
- Start Month: February, July, October
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Dorm
- Minimum Cost: Free
AmeriCorps NCCC is a full-time, team-based service program for young adults 18-26* who want to give back to communities in need across the U.S. Travel throughout the country for 12 months completing projects in the areas of disaster planning, mitigation, response, and recovery.
FEMA Corps members work directly with the Federal Emergency Management Agency in an administrative capacity. Projects could involve research/writing, data analysis, community needs assessment, logistics, and more.
You can also apply to be a FEMA Team Leader. Team Leaders are in charge of 8 to 10 Corp Members. While this is not a staff position, they are expected to guide their team throughout the term. Team Leaders will complete the Team Leader Training (TLT) one month before Corp Members arrive. Anyone may apply as a Team Leader (prior service experience is not required).
Benefits include the following:
- Full room and board
- Modest living allowance for personal expenses
- Program-related travel costs are covered
- Receive leadership development and technical training directly from FEMA
- Gain valuable federal work experience
- Get your foot in the door for a career in the federal government or emergency management
- Earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of over $6,000 upon successful completion of the program
*The CARES Act, passed by Congress in response to the Coronavirus pandemic, increased the upper age limit for participation as an AmeriCorps NCCC Corps Member to 26 years old. Under the CARES Act, Section 3514(d), the upper age limit for AmeriCorps NCCC members is 26. AmeriCorps NCCC applies the upper age limit at the time a member arrives on campus and is activated as a member. That means individuals must be on campus and activated as members for at least one day before turning 27. The 26-year upper age limit will remain in effect until further notice.