- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: High School, College
- Program Length: Academic Year, Other
- Start Month: January, February, June, July, September, October
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Cabins, Dorm, Hotel, Other, Tents
- Minimum Cost: Free
AmeriCorps NCCC is a full-time, team-based service program for young adults 18-26* who want to give back to communities in need across the U.S. Travel throughout an assigned region or the entire country for 10 months completing projects in the areas of environmental stewardship, urban and rural development, disaster response, and more.
Traditional Corps is our original, rugged experience in which members get their hands dirty completing projects in a variety of areas.
There are two potential positions Traditional Corps members can fill: Corps Member or Team Leader. Corps Members are assigned to regional campuses and will work with other Corps Members to accomplish tasks. They are required to complete the Corps Training Institute (CTI), earn 1700 service hours, and take part in physical training.
Team Leaders are assigned to 8 to 10 Corps Members and are expected to guide their team throughout the service term. Team Leaders must complete the Team Leader Training (TLT) one month before Corps Members arrive. They must also conduct daily team activities and work as a liason between the team and AmeriCorps staff. Anyone can apply to be a Team Leader and it does not require any prior service experience.
Benefits include the following:
- Full room and board
- Modest living allowance for personal expenses
- Program-related travel costs are covered
- Receive leadership development and technical training
- Gain valuable work experience in a variety of fields
- Earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of over $6,000 upon successful completion of the program
*The CARES Act, passed by Congress in response to the Coronavirus pandemic, increased the upper age limit for participation as an AmeriCorps NCCC Corps Member to 26 years old. Under the CARES Act, Section 3514(d), the upper age limit for AmeriCorps NCCC members is 26.
AmeriCorps NCCC applies the upper age limit at the time a member arrives on campus and is activated as a member. That means individuals must be on campus and activated as members for at least one day before turning 27. The 26-year upper age limit will remain in effect until further notice.