- Listing Type: Colleges & Universities
- Top Majors: Art and Design, Biological Sciences, Business and Entrepreneurship, Communications, Education, Engineering, Health Care, Languages and Literature, Mathematics and Statistics, Philosophy and Religion, Psychology and Counseling, Skilled Trades and Construction, Liberal Arts, Social Services, STEM, General Study
- Degrees Awarded: 4 Year
- Type: Private
- Campus Setting: Small Town
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships, Loans, Payment Terms, Work Study
- Gender: Coed
- Country: United States
- In State Tuition: $23,398/year
- Out of State Tuition: $23,398
- Religious Affiliation: Protestant
- CEEB: 6321
- IPED: 107141
Since 1919, JBU has educated students in a distinctly Christian community, providing an academic, spiritual and professional foundation for world-impacting careers, with top professors, state-of-the-art facilities, and a caring community invested in student success.
10 Reasons to Choose JBU
- Number One — the same number one reason for almost 100 years is that at John Brown University our first priority is and has always been to put Christ Over All. We respect each other’s different worship styles and learn from each others different views, but our mission to be Christ-centered and God-honoring remains rock solid.
- 40 Majors. JBU offers 40 different academic majors and 10 graduate degree programs. Of course you only need one, but you might appreciate the choices. Our top-ten undergraduate programs by enrollment are Engineering, Graphic Design, Family and Human Services, Business Administration, Early Childhood Education, Biology, Digital Cinema, Construction Management, Photography, and Psychology.
- The great outdoors. If you are into rock climbing, mountain biking, fly-fishing, canoeing, kayaking (we have a new kayak park on the Illinois River about 10 minutes from campus), camping, hiking or other outdoor activities, then this corner of the Ozarks is a great place to be. We even have a two-mile paved and lit trail along the edge of campus next to beautiful Sager Creek.
- Get involved. Join a chapel band. Play ultimate or rugby with our competitive club teams. Dance with the Great Abandon Dance Ministry! Serve with The Wells Project or the Jail Ministry. Like history? Join the club. Not to mention The Next Big Thing music competition or the annual talent show. Concerts and moviews on the quad and intramurals all year round…you won’t be bored here.
- Student-Faculty ratio of 15:1. 50 students would make a big class at JBU, 20 would be more typical and a dozen is common. Compare that with your local state university where your freshman psych class might have 1,000 students in the same room at the same time. Try getting to know that professor!
- An economic powerhouse. Northwest Arkansas is home to Fortune 1 company Walmart. Besides having the retail giant in JBU’s back yard, over 1500 of Walmart’s suppliers, from Disney to Procter and Gamble, have operations in Northwest Arkansas. But Walmart isn’t the only economic engine in Northwest Arkansas, the world’s number one protein provider, Tyson Foods, is based in Springdale and Lowell is the home base for J.B Hunt, one of the largest trucking companies in America, both about 30 minutes from campus.
- Final Four. Our women’s basketball team went to the NAIA Final Four last year. For you non-athletic types – this is a pretty special accomplishment. Other athletic programs include men’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s tennis, women’s volleyball, men’s golf, and men’s and women’s cheerleading.
- Affordable? Yes! Unfortunately you can’t judge the cost or the value of a college education by the sticker price. You need to know graduation rates, average load debt, scholarship opportunities, and, of course, your ability to get a job or get into grad school when you finish. Our graduation rate is high, our average load debt is low and 99% of our recent graduates were working or pursuing their next degree within 6 months of graduation!
- Interdenominational & International. We worship at the Evangelical Free Church and the Presbyterian church and the Bible church and the Community Church. JBU has never been affiliated with any denomination but has always sought to put Christ Over All. Our student body comes from 39 different nations and 42 different states. We love diversity and culture! We are intentional about learning from our differences, and celebrating our unity in Christ.
- Go where you want to go. Ten years after high-school, 6 years after JBU… you could be teaching college by now. Or you are a nurse or a filmmaker, or you’re working for an NGO in Ghana. Walk the path the Lord puts in front of you. You can go anywhere from here.