Here at National Taiwan University, we are excited to be launching Chinese Gap Year (CGY) in Taipei, a nine-month gap year program geared toward high school graduates (20 years old or younger). CGY will combine an intensive Mandarin Chinese learning environment with immersive experiences in Taipei and around Taiwan.
National Taiwan University's International Chinese Language Program (ICLP) has been educating students and scholars of Mandarin Chinese for nearly 60 years. Since our founding in 1962 by Stanford University, we have provided intensive language training to thousands of students from more than 30 countries, offering both modern and classical Chinese instruction.
Chinese Gap Year (CGY) in Taipei, launching in the fall of 2020, will build on our long history of leadership in Chinese instruction.
CGY's purpose is to combine intensive and immersive Chinese language instruction with cultural and community experiences for recent high school graduates, all in the wonderful city of Taipei.
By the end of this nine-month program, our CGY students will learn a whole lot of Chinese, dive into life in Taiwan, and experience tremendous personal growth.
You can read more about our program here, visit our website, or contact us directly.
We can't wait for you to come join us, and we welcome you to Taiwan!
Cost and Session Information
CGY is a nine-month gap year experience that runs from September 2020 through June 2021.
Throughout the nine months, students can expect:
- An intensive and immersive Mandarin Chinese program, with three to four hours of daily classes, including a daily one-on-one class.
- Single-room (bedroom and private bathroom) accomodations in a nearby dormitory that houses National Taiwan University students.
- Social and cultural activities and trips that allow students to build relationships with local university students while experiencing authentic Taiwanese life. (Including a once-per-quarter multi-day excursion that will deepen students' understanding of Taiwanese culture and society.)
- Personalized attention, resources, and around-the-clock support, with program staff focused on students’ success and wellbeing.
- A safe and friendly environment for living and learning, and a memorable and meaningful gap year experience!
Chinese is an important language to learn, and Taiwan is a wonderful place to call home. We hope you'll be able to join us this fall, and we look forward to being a part of the next chapter of your life!
(Note: the program cost includes tuition and books, housing and utilities, and some activity costs.
In addition, CGY is specifically geared toward recent high school graduates [20 years old or younger] who have no background or foundation in Chinese. For students who have previously studied Chinese, we invite you to consider applying directly to our primary ICLP Academic Year program.)