The Perot Museum of Nature and Science exists to inspire minds through nature and science. The Museum offers hands-on ways to learn about scientific evidence, mathematical concepts, and natural history and will profoundly affect what and how our guests experience science and nature.
The Discovery Corps Camp Assistant volunteer program fosters student interest in science, education and the Perot Museum of Nature and Science through the contribution of student volunteer service.
Discovery Corps is open to students ages 14 and older who will be entering their freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year of high school in the 2019-2020 school year. Discovery Corps is a summer only volunteer program.
During their session, students will:
- Spend ONE WEEK volunteering alongside museum educators in summer Discovery Camps
- Spend FOUR WEEKS volunteering throughout the Museum’s exhibit halls
- Participate in ONE group project with fellow Discovery Corps participants
- Present their final project with their group to family members, Perot staff, and other Discovery Corps participants
- For application and acceptance:
- Complete full application including resume, cover letter and teacher/reference approval form
- Attend group interview
- Complete one full week (Monday-Friday) volunteering in Discovery Camp from 8:30am-4:30pm:
- Complete 20 hours in flexible, self-scheduled shifts throughout the Museum’s exhibit halls
- Attend orientation and final project presentation
- Complete 60 hours or more of total volunteer service:
- 40 hours volunteering in summer Discovery Camp & group projects
- 20 hours volunteering in permanent exhibit halls