UConn Pre-College Summer offers rising high school juniors and seniors (class of 2019 or 2020) the opportunity to study, live on a top-ranked public university, and learn more about college life through four challenging and intensive one-week sessions to choose from.
Session Offered: Session 3
Additional Course Fee: $35.00
Oliver Wendell Holmes famously stated that “the life of the law has not been logic; it has been experience.” In accordance with this observation, this one-week course is designed to provide participants with both academic and practical understandings of the law, legal education, and the operations of the American judicial system. In this course, we cover:
- Theories of the “law”
- The U.S. Constitution
- Legal education, including a visit to the UCONN School of Law
- The American criminal justice system, including a visit to a local courthouse and/or interactions with real-life judges and prosecutors
- Civil justice, particularly torts
- Appellate decision-making by way of a Moot Court simulation based on a highlighted case in constitutional law
Participants are expected to reflect upon each one of these experiences daily as well as prepare for the Moot Court simulation at the end of the week. This course may be of particular interest to aspiring legal professionals as well as to those who have a curious interest in current legal issues.
Cost and Session Information
Registration includes all academic, administrative and activity costs, housing in an air conditioned residence hall, as well as all meals. Laundry machines are available to participants at no cost. Fees are determined by program length and may include an additional course fees of $35-$200 to cover the cost of supply kits, studio costs, travel, entrance fees, etc. If necessary, this course fee will be applied at time of registration. Travel to and from the University is not included in the total.
Application Processing Fee: $35 non-refundable
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT AVAILABLE! Register and pay in full by 4:00 pm on March 30, 2018 to receive an early bird discount of $150.00.
- 1 Week: $1950 - Price for first week
- 2 Weeks: $3700 - $1750 for second week (receive a $200 discount)
- 3 Weeks: $5350 - $1650 for third week (receive a $300 discount)
- 4 Weeks: $6900 - $1550 for fourth week (receive a $400 discount)
A minimum payment of $300.00 per session is due at the time of registration. The initial $300.00 is a non-refundable processing fee.
The registration/payment website provides you with the option to pay in full or pay in multiple installments. If you wish to pay in full at time of registration, simply pay the amount in your cart. Final payment of all program fees is due by 4:00 pm Friday, June 15, 2018. If participating in the early bird discount, all program fees must be paid in full by 4:00pm on March 30, 2018.