Uncover the unseen in the nation’s capital and learn how to think like a reporter, conduct interviews and create informative, entertaining content.
Founded specifically to be our nation’s capital, Washington DC has grown into a vibrant and cosmopolitan city in its own right. This course will teach students how to capture the city’s rich cultural diversity, nuanced power dynamics and near- and far-reaching events.
Participants will develop basic reporting skills: interviewing anyone and anywhere, news judgment, writing compelling articles and pitching them to editors. Students will practice thinking like reporters, crafting and pitching ideas, ridding their writing of clutter, fact-checking their work and keenly observing the city.
This course is taught by a wide variety of instructors who imbue the general syllabus with their own areas of journalistic and topical expertise. Each instructor creates a unique learning experience for this introductory journalism course.
Day trips will vary based on the instructors and terms. Site visits may include:
- Smithsonian National Museums
- U.S. Capitol, U.S. Supreme Court or White House
- Washington DC neighborhoods and art centers
- Washington DC cultural and/or government events
Guest Speakers and Lecturers:
Speakers and lecturers will vary with the instructors and terms. Guest speakers are likely to include:
- The New York Times journalists, editors and photographers
- Authors, editors and other journalism professionals
- Professors and students in journalism schools
- Individuals connected to new stories such as government officials and business owners
Instructors: This course is new to the Washington DC area and is likely to feature reporters and editors from the Washington bureau of The New York Times as well as journalism professors and other reporting professionals.
Cost and Session Information
Day Program: $5,150*
Residential Program: $5,750*
June 23 - July 5
July 7 - July 19
LOCATION: Washington, DC
*Listed program costs do not include course-specific lab and materials fees. Learn more on our website.