Dive into what lies at the core of New York — the city’s vital immigrant population — and learn how the complex, ever-changing roles of law, journalism and culture impact the current debate.
One of the most vibrant cities in the world, New York City is home to a diversity of cultures through its immigrant and local populations. With one in five New Yorkers being an immigrant and one in six being a citizen with an immigrant parent, the city is a mélange of people trying to navigate a rapidly evolving political landscape, local and federal laws and the ever-changing nature of their neighborhoods.
This multidisciplinary approach to learning encourages students to sample different fields and employ critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills. The program is geared towards students eager to discover their passions, try something new and prepare for college. From site visits and excursions to lectures by expert practitioners, the Explorations program is curated to give students a newfound sense of direction for their future studies by shedding light on a diverse selection of subject material.
This is a new course. Possible site visits include:
- A visit to a local appellate or district court
- An opportunity to interview industry-related professionals
- An exploration of a local cultural organization
- A museum that focuses on the immigration experience such as the El Museo del Barrio, Lower East Side Tenement Museum, the Museum of Chinese in the Americas or Ellis Island
Previous guest speakers on this subject include:
- Liz Robbins, reporter, The New York Times
- George Freeman, VP & Assistant General Counsel, The New York Times (1981-2012), Executive Director, Media Law Resource Center
- Ben Wizner, Director of the ACLU’s Speech, Technology, and Privacy Project
- Emily Bazelon, Staff Writer, The New York Times Magazine
Cost and Session Information
Day Program: $5,150*
Residential Program: $5,750*
Dates: July 7- July 19
LOCATION New York City
*Listed program costs do not include course-specific lab and materials fees. Learn more on our website.