Travel across New York City and experience the sensory side of the city as you build a photography portfolio and immerse yourself in the unique, international flavors of the city’s culinary scene.
This course will encourage students to explore New York through two sensory methods of cultural expression: food and photography. By receiving guidance on fundamental technical skills, students will develop their unique style of travel photography, documenting the sites of everyday life in New York City as someone who wants to experience the real New York. Students will also learn about the multibillion-dollar food business and how to write about it – all while sampling some of the amazing food the city has to offer.
This multidisciplinary approach to learning encourages students to sample different fields and employ critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills. The program is geared toward students eager to discover their passions, try something new and prepare for college and life after high school. From site visits and excursions to lectures by expert practitioners, the Explorations program is curated to give students a newfound sense of direction for their future studies by shedding light on a diverse selection of subject material.
Summer Academy enables students to dive deep into a course of study, sharpening skills for their academic and professional futures. Each course is carefully designed to suit student interests and encourage intellectual curiosity.
• Students will study travel photography both as a practical and an aesthetic venture while developing their visual vocabulary. The intent is to translate what the student sees and feels — whether using a professional DSLR or a smartphone camera — into photographs that capture their individual perspectives on life, culture, people and the city as a living organism.
• New York City has a rich culture of preparing, cooking and eating food. Students will explore the history of food in New York, visit key food establishments, hear from culinary experts, learn about the business of food and examine celebrity food culture. In a truly multisensory experience, students will read about, write about, think about, taste and make great food.
• Students will tour a number of significant places related to cultural expressions of black America as well as meet some important figures within today’s cultural movement.
• This is a new course. Possible site visits include: Tortilleria Nixtamal, Canal Street Market, International Center of Photography, Coney Island and photography exhibits. Students will also have the opportunity to visit The New York Times newsroom and/or The Times printing press.
• This is a new course. Possible speakers include: Jeffrey Henson Scales (New York Times Photography Editor), Lesley Tellez (journalist, Culinary Tour Expert & Cookbook Author), Devra Ferst (Food Writer & Editor) and Jackie Molloy (Photojournalist).
Please note: All information is subject to change at the discretion of The School of The New York Times.
Cost and Session Information
Day Program: $5,225*
Residential Program: $5,825*
Dates: June 7 - June 19
*Listed program costs do not include course-specific lab and materials fees. Learn more on our website.