The Sorvino Dance Intensive is designed to give intermediate and advanced dancers training with professional instructors in a beautiful, fun-filled location. Dancers come to refine technique and prepare performance pieces in ballet, jazz, and contemporary.
Founded in 1997, the Sorvino Dance Intensive provides an intimate setting for intermediate to advanced dancers to train with professional instructors.
Dancers take two technique classes in ballet, jazz and contemporary dance, two repertoire sessions and Pilates daily. The Intensive features a full day of dance with breaks for meals and an afternoon swim. In the evenings, dancers enjoy activities either as a group or with other Stoneleigh-Burnham summer programs.
The Intensive takes full advantage of western New England’s rich dance offerings and artists. Dancers attend the International Dance Festival at Jacob’s Pillow in Lee, MA for a presentation on the Inside/Out stage and a performance on the main stage. Dancers also participate in a culminating performance at the end of the session that parents are encouraged to attend.
The Sorvino Dance Intensive is directed by Ann Sorvino, Juilliard graduate and Chair of the Performing Arts at Stoneleigh-Burnham School. Ann is a former member of the Merce Cunningham Company and is the founder of The Sorvino Project, which has performed throughout New England, New York City, Greece, and Thailand.
The Intensive is staffed by outstanding professionals and guest artists including: Curt Jacobs (Los Angeles professional jazz dancer and instructor), Meg Van Dyck (modern), and Carrie Towle (ballet).
At the Sorvino Dance Intensive, dancers will enjoy:
- Two technique classes daily
- Two repertory sessions daily in preparation for the Saturday afternoon performance
- Pilates classes
- A field trip to the Dance Festival at Jacob’s Pillow to watch workshop classes, a presentation on the Inside/Out stage, and a performance on the main stage.
- Personal attention in small classes to address technical and performing skills
- Swimming pool, tennis courts and weight room
- The beauty of our rural 100-acre campus