Raleigh International's Summer Program (5, 7 and 10 weeks) in Nepal is a unique opportunity to volunteer one of the world’s highest countries and home to Mount Everest. Experience the famous Nepali hospitality and if you are lucky, a festival or two.
Raleigh International offers Expeditions in Nepal for 17-24 year olds from June to September 2020.
Raleigh Expedition is an international volunteering program, open to all and engaging young people from around the world. Expedition is one of four programs delivered by the youth-driven development charity, Raleigh International. Expedition is one of the first UK programs accredited by the Gap Year Association (GYA).
It's a real volunteer experience you will never forget. Real people, real projects, real change! Be part of a global movement of youth leaders; to conserve and protect the environment; and work alongside communities on the issues they face.
Our volunteers report that the program raises their aspirations, builds their confidence, broadens their horizons and outlook, helps develop character and resilience, supports better academic performance and employability, and inspires further volunteering and active citizenship.
How does the Expedition program work?
Nestled between China and India, Nepal is small but vibrant, bursting with a fusion of Tibetan and South Asian cultures. You’ll be living in the foothills of the Himalayas, a landscape of colourful temples dotted among terraced paddy fields. As a volunteer, you will become a part of rural life in Nepal, as you support young people and women to drive change for their communities.
• Work with local people still suffering from the 2015 earthquake to improve their access to water and sanitation facilities on the Community project.
• Work with Nepali youth to help create a more inclusive society.
• Trek through the spectacular Ruby Valley climbing up to 2500m and pass through rural mountain villages on the Adventure Leadership Trek.
• Stay with local families in the foothills of the Himalayas.
How long can I go for?
10 weeks - The 10 week program is the most immersive Expedition. You will get the opportunity to take part in 3 different projects in 3 different locations, with 3 different groups.
7 weeks - If you don’t have as much time, the 7 week program is a great option. You will do 2 different projects, in 2 different locations, with 2 different groups.
5 weeks - You will work on 1 project and go on a shorter Adventure Leadership Trek.
Why Raleigh Expedition’s different?
• Delivered by youth-driven development charity, Raleigh International.
• Raleigh has 35 years’ experience of volunteering program management.
• We work with remote communities to protect biodiversity and reduce the impact of climate change.
• Expedition contributes to the Global Goals for Sustainable Development (SDGs).
• Safety is at the heart of everything we do. We're externally accredited to British Safety Standard 8848, the Gap Year Association (USA) and Year Out Group (UK).
• Our experienced in-country management and staff teams provide 24/7 support and are backed up by our safety team in the United Kingdom.
• Volunteer Managers live and work with each student Expedition group and professional medic volunteers support the program.
About Raleigh International
Raleigh believes young people everywhere can change the world. So, we empower young people with the skills, experience and connections to be leaders of change.
Raleigh has more than 35 years' experience of working with young people, and our history of volunteering dates back to members of the British royal family. We have permanent trained staff in every country in which we operate, so that you can access support 24 hours a day whilst you're overseas.
Interested? Change Starts Here
We love to chat about our Expeditions, so feel free to give us a call on +1 833-660-9738 or click on the 'Apply Now', 'View Website' or 'Request Info' buttons at the top of our page.
Cost and Session Information
As a charity we talk about fundraising rather than costs, and we encourage everyone to do some fundraising for their Expedition. We offer lots of ways to help with fundraising and we have supported thousands of young people to reach their target.
- 10 week Expedition: $5,000
- 7 week Expedition: $4,500
- 5 week Expedition: $3,600
In-country training, airport transfers, project equipment, health insurance, food and accommodation are all included. Rolling admissions with Fall, Spring, and Summer departures. Find out more information about what’s included and fundraising.