Raleigh International's Summer Program (4, 7 and 10 weeks) in Costa Rica is a unique opportunity to volunteer in one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, home to national parks, volcanoes and stunning landscapes.
Raleigh International offers Expeditions in Costa Rica for 17-24 year olds from June to September 2020.
Raleigh Expedition is an international volunteering program, open to all and engaging young people from around the world. Expedition is one of four programs delivered by the youth-driven development charity, Raleigh International. Expedition is one of the first UK programs accredited by the Gap Year Association (GYA).
It's a real volunteer experience you will never forget. Real people, real projects, real change! Be part of a global movement of youth leaders; to conserve and protect the environment; and work alongside communities on the issues they face.
How does the Expedition program work?
Students volunteer in Costa Rica for 4, 7 or 10 weeks. The program engages students (aged 17-24) in creating long lasting change on community, environmental and adventure leadership projects. These projects help tackle environmental issues, access to education for all, and alleviate poverty.
During the Expedition, students will participate in up to three different projects, dependent on the length of time they volunteer for.
• Work alongside local people to improve their access to education on the indigenous Community project.
• Help conserve Costa Rica’s biodiversity and improveaccess to national parks on the Environmental project.
• Trek through rainforest and up volcanoes on a variety of stunning routes that tourists don’t get access to on the Adventure Leadership Trek.
• Work with Costa Rican youth to help create a more inclusive society.
Our volunteers report that the program raises their aspirations, builds their confidence, broadens their horizons and outlook, helps develop character and resilience, supports better academic performance and employability, and inspires further volunteering and active citizenship.
How long can I go for?
10 weeks - The 10 week program is the most immersive Expedition. You will get the opportunity to take part in 3 different projects (Community, Environmental and Adventure Leadership Trek), in 3 different locations, with 3 different groups.
7 weeks - If you don’t have as much time, the 7 week program is a great option. You will do 2 different projects, in 2 different locations, with 2 different groups.
4 weeks - You will work on 1 project and go on a shorter Adventure Leadership Trek.
Why Raleigh Expedition’s different?
• Delivered by youth-driven development charity with more than 35 years’ experience of volunteering program management.
• We work with remote communities to protect biodiversity and reduce the impact of climate change.
• Expedition contributes to the Global Goals for Sustainable Development (SDGs).
• Safety is at the heart of everything we do. We're externally accredited to British Safety Standard 8848, the Gap Year Association (USA) and Year Out Group (UK).
• Our experienced in-country management and staff teams provide 24/7 support and are backed up by our safety team in the United Kingdom.
• Volunteer Managers live and work with each student Expedition group and professional medic volunteers support the program.
About Raleigh International
Raleigh believes young people everywhere can change the world. So, we empower young people with the skills, experience and connections to be leaders of change.
Raleigh has more than 35 years' experience of working with young people, and our history of volunteering dates back to members of the British royal family. We have permanent trained staff in every country in which we operate, so that you can access support 24 hours a day whilst you're overseas.
Interested? Change Starts Here
We love to chat about our Expeditions, so feel free to give us a call on +1 833-660-9738 or click on the 'Apply Now', 'View Website' or 'Request Info' buttons at the top of our page.
Cost and Session Information
As a charity we talk about fundraising rather than costs, and we encourage everyone to do some fundraising for their Expedition. We offer lots of ways to help with fundraising and we have supported thousands of young people to reach their target.
- 10 week Expedition: $5,000
- 7 week Expedition: $4,500
- 4 week Expedition: $3,100
In-country training, airport transfers, project equipment, health insurance, food and accommodation are all included. Rolling admissions with Fall, Spring, and Summer departures. Find out more information about what’s included and fundraising.