At Berklee’s Global String Intensive, learn from some of the world’s leading string virtuosos and educators. Under the direction of David Wallace, chair of the String Department, you’ll explore a wide variety of string styles, including folk, jazz, bluegrass, classical, old-time, and Celtic.
Expand your musical horizons and discover new performance possibilities as a string player. You’ll study with instructors in small class settings and explore new musical styles and techniques under expert guidance.
As a participant in Berklee’s Global String Intensive, you’ll become a part of Berklee’s thriving, creative string department for a full week. You’ll get the same Berklee experience that fostered musicians like Sierra Hull, Casey Driessen, and national fiddle champions Luke Price and Alex Hargreaves.
Berklee Global String Intensive participants will enjoy:
- up to three performances in Berklee’s world-class facilities;
- membership in a stylistically eclectic string orchestra led by Eugene Friesen or Mimi Rabson (who have pioneered groundbreaking groove-based approaches to orchestral performance and improvisation) with a repertoire that may include global styles, funk, 2015 Grammy-winning tunes, traditional string band music, and/or avant-garde ensemble improvisations;
- membership in a small ensemble, band, or combo coached and led by a Berklee faculty member;
- daily improvisation sessions with rotating instructors in modern, traditional, and global string styles;
- daily “Theory in Action” labs, in which Berklee faculty coach small groups of students in mastering key theoretical and improvisational concepts with their instruments (difficulty and complexity progresses with each day under the guidance of the same coach);
- nightly jam sessions in various styles, led by Berklee faculty and students;
- faculty concerts representing a vast array of musical styles;
- master classes from Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians; and
- the only opportunity this summer to study with Matt Glaser, winner of the American String Teachers Association’s prestigious Artist Teacher Award and the first person to publish authentic transcriptions of Stephane Grappelli and Vassar Clements, as well as methods to improvise in their style.
For students who are also interested in enrolling in Berklee full-time, there are several benefits to attending the Berklee Global String Intensive:
- find out what it takes to succeed in music and at Berklee;
- study with Berklee faculty;
- learn about admission, audition, and scholarship requirements;
- gain access to Berklee facilities (library, concert halls, rehearsal and practice rooms, etc.);
- get a head start on your full-time studies; and
- get to know Boston, New England’s hub of culture and academia.
Cost and Session Information
Program length: Five days
Program dates: Monday, June 27, 2016 - Friday, July 1, 2016
Registration fee: $50*
Move in starting:Sunday, June 26, 2016, at 3:00 p.m.
Move out by: Friday, July 1, 2016, at 7:00 p.m.
Housing Prepayment: $100*
Age range: 15 years and older