Examine healthcare and development in India and receive leadership training on a fully funded summer abroad program for high school students.
An Experiment Leadership Institute Program—New for 2015
This new and highly competitive Experiment in International Living program is specifically focused on leadership development. Participation for accepted students is fully funded.
Students receive intensive leadership training in Washington, DC, followed by a four-week experience focused on public health and community development in India. Finally, students return to the US for debriefings, synthesis and reflection sessions, and reentry workshops on the School for International Training campus in southern Vermont.
Program Key Features:
- Intensive leadership and activism training in Washington, DC
- Onsite meetings with experts and advocates at primary health centers, youth organizations, and NGO headquarters in India
- Workshop with an organization working for public health and positive change in India
- Rural visit to a tribal village and meeting with youth parliament members (India)
- Excursion to Jaipur to meet with NGOs like Barefoot College, a rural development organization, and Jaipur Foot Factory, the world’s largest producer of prosthetic below-the-waist limbs
- Engagement with Indian peer groups at Global School of Learning in Bahraich District (India)
- Visit to the Taj Mahal in Agra
- Two-week homestay with an Indian family
- Reentry and synthesis sessions in southern Vermont
- Action-oriented project to be implemented after the program’s conclusion