Your Mission to Mars has begun. At NYLF Explore STEM, the STEM fields will come to life through a keynote session with a former NASA astronaut, and hands-on simulations in four STEM strands: Medicine, Robotics, Civil Engineering and Forensic Science.
NYLF Explore STEM is a chance for you to try your future in STEM – through hands-on simulations, workshops, competitions and interaction with STEM professionals. As part of a simulated “Mission to Mars,” you will take on the role of an interplanetary health official, use robotics skills to program a rover, design and construct a habitat capable of sustaining human life, or investigate the attempted sabotage of your mission.
At NYLF Explore STEM, you will:
- Enjoy a keynote speech from a former NASA Astronaut
- Process a staged crime scene using proper techniques, including fingerprint and blood stain pattern analysis
- Test your civil engineering skills by using CAD software to design a habitat capable of sustaining on Mars
- Design and program a Mars rover that moves with precision, avoids obstacles and acts upon command
- Practice clinical skills needed in a true-to-life emergency through an Emergency Outdoor Medicine Simulation created by Dr. Paul Auerbach and Dr. Rebecca Smith-Coggins, professors in the Stanford University School of Medicine’s Department of Emergency Medicine
- Take a deep dive into the STEM field of your choice through Galaxy Labs
Choose from ten locations across the country where you’ll spend six amazing days building your path to success in the STEM fields.
Cost and Session Information
We accept applications from self-starters and encourage all students (entering grades 10-12 grade next fall) with an interest in a medical career to apply.
Tuition for this 8-day residential NYLF Medicine Program at the University of Maryland is $2195 and session dates are July 14-19 and July 21-26 2019.
The application process includes writing two short essays and providing the name of a teacher or mentor who can speak to your achievements and maturity and who may be contacted to provide supporting information.
To learn more about our acceptance criteria and other relevant application information, please visit our Admissions page.
Participant ReviewsWrite a Review
This program hasn't been reviewed yet. Write the first review!
This program not only taught me about different careers in math and science fields, but allowed me to strengthen my communication skills and allow me to become more of a social person.