Advanced Emergency Medicine, in collaboration with Stanford Medicine, is an unprecedented opportunity to spend 10 days with the staff of the Stanford University Department of Emergency Medicine, gaining invaluable hands-on experience in a real-world medical environment.
Are you ready for the intensity of medical school and emergency medicine?
From life-saving ER medical procedures, to disaster and wilderness medicine, to dissected human cadavers, this is your chance to test your skills under pressure, guided by the faculty of Stanford University's School of Medicine, one of the most highly ranked universities in the world!
What you will Learn:
- Life-saving techniques, as performed in Emergency Rooms and in the field. Hands-on workshops and simulations teach you to master skills such as triage, suturing, splinting, trauma management, ultrasound, and the ABCDE approach to assessing illness and injury.
- How to prepare yourself for a future of excellence, tackling challenges such as medical school and a successful and rewarding career in medicine. While acquiring professional skills like networking and personal branding, you will also explore your many specialty options within the field.
- Wilderness medicine during a wilderness hike, where you’ll manage a true-to-life outdoor disaster scenario, and administer treatment for patient issues such as: altitude sickness, broken bones, lacerations, exposure to heat and cold, and potentially fatal snake and insect bites.
- Where your strengths and passions lie as you assess your own reactions to simulated life and death scenarios.
- How to utilize advanced, life-saving technology such as ultrasound, to quickly and noninvasively identify critical patient issues during trauma and emergency situations. Working directly with your peers, you will alternate between stepping into the role of a simulated doctor or patient, while using the ultrasound technology firsthand to examine your "patient's" anatomy and then alternatively, be examined yourself.
- All the critical elements of Basic Life Support, as you earn your BLS certification from the American Heart Association, the authority on resuscitation science.
What you will Experience:
- Life at Stanford University School of Medicine – You will live and study on campus at Stanford University, receiving unparalleled instruction from Stanford faculty, ranked among the highest in the world. If your goal is to be the best, this is the place to be.
- Code Black – Reaction time can mean the difference between life and death in emergency situations, and emergency physicians need to be ready for anything, at any time. Evaluate your performance under pressure as you meet the challenge of our true-to-life crisis simulations.
- The Rite of Passage for Future Doctors – Stanford Medicine's anatomy lab, in which you will witness the human body from an incomparable perspective, uncovering internal musculoskeletal systems and organs in dissected human cadavers, made available by the bodies of individuals who donated themselves to science.
- Disaster Medicine – Explore this harrowing and highly rewarding field through a combination of discussions, demonstrations, and an outdoor group disaster simulation that includes disaster medical treatment and triage.
As part of the enrollment process you will be asked to fill out a short application to confirm your program eligibility.