IMPACT 2020 is a unique virtual summer program designed to help middle and high school students develop the skills necessary to pursue a passion, tackle a community need, and form a network with other young leaders from across the country. Empower youth to connect to the world around them and make a local impact on global issues!
Over the course of the program, students will hear inspiring stories from young activists on strategies and models of advocacy and activism; deepen their understanding of the challenges and issues in their communities; cultivate and practice civic leadership skills; work together to create meaningful solutions; and have an opportunity to present their action plans to an exciting guest panel.
Program Highlights Include:
• Building Community: Establish a learning community with young leaders from across the country
• Cultural Understanding: Engage with diverse perspectives, practice civil dialogue, and expand your worldview
• Defining Issues: Form action committees and build a network to tackle pressing issues
• Storytelling: Develop compelling stories for inspiring change
• Building Awareness: Explore strategies for raising public awareness
• Coalition Building & Organizing: Learn how to convince others to join a cause
• Advocacy & Activism: Consider strategies and techniques for effective advocacy
• Develop Action Plans: Apply activism skills to student projects
• Shark Tank-Style Presentation: Present student projects to an exciting guest panel
We offer two program sessions, Introduction to Community Engagement and Task Force for Community Engagement. We encourage students who are new to advocacy work to join us for both sessions. For students with more experience, the introduction course is optional.
Introduction to Community Engagement (Optional): This three-day foundational program is a great introduction for students who are eager to learn how they can become active and involved members in their communities. Over the course of the three days, students will participate in a variety of activities to explore their sense of purpose, develop leadership skills, and think critically about social and political issues that matter most to them.
Task Force for Community Engagement: Building on the foundations course, this two-week program gives students the opportunity to work in teams and apply their skills and passion to address a pressing local or national issue. Students will identify issues that are important to them, explore root causes, develop action plans, and build a coalition of young leaders committed to tackling a problem.
Cost and Session Information
INTRODUCTION TO COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Middle School Session | June 17, 18, 19 | 10am-12pm PT/ 1-3pm ET
High School Session | June 24, 25, 26 | 10am-12pm PT/ 1-3pm ET
TASK FORCE FOR COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Middle School Sessions | June 29-July 2 & July 6-9 | Seminars 10am-12pm PT/ 1-3pm ET | Group Work 1-2pm PT/ 4-5pm ET
High School Sessions | June 29-July 2 & July 6-9 | Seminars 10am-12pm PT/ 1-3pm ET | Group Work 1-2pm PT/ 4-5pm ET
Visit our website, https://www.closeup.org/impact-2020, for full program details and to register. Financial Aid is available.
Introduction to Community Engagement (3 sessions) $150
Task Force for Community Engagement (8 sessions) $400
Introduction & Task Force (all 11 sessions) $500