EXPLORE summer program matches gifted and advanced high school students with distinguished mentors, hands-on research opportunities, and professional experience in their field of interest.
- Work collaboratively with distinguishedmentors for 2-6 weeks
- Are immersed and involved in college-levelresearch and projects
- Participate in weekly college and careerdevelopment workshops
- Expand their professional and academicnetwork
- Connect with like-minded peers
We are looking to fill positions at the following biology-focused site:
Students will work with Dr. Pamela Yeh and her research team in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at UCLA. Dr. Yeh is an evolutionary biologist who focuses on the evolution of drug resistance in bacteria. She is specifically interested in understanding how we can use drug combinations to slow down the evolution of increased antibiotic resistance and to decrease the likelihood of future evolution of resistance. By the end of the session, students will gain hands-on experience working in a wet-lab, gather and synthesize data from published works, and collaborate with a research team to examine questions focused on evolutionary medicine topics.
Prerequisites: Applicants must be 16 years of age or older at the start of the program to be placed at this site.