This two-week summer program integrates Brown University Pre-College Programs' long tradition in developing critical thinking based in history, theory, and practice with Berklee’s Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship's philosophy that the creative process and the entrepreneurial journey share the same DNA.
Through lectures and workshops with creative entrepreneurs, students learn how to take an idea from prototype to presentation. Students will design a hands-on project and develop the startup mindset needed to be dynamic thinkers and makers. Over the course of the two weeks, students live on both the Brown campus in Providence, Rhode Island and the Berklee campus in Boston, Massachusetts, experiencing two college environments and the exciting artistic worlds each inhabit and help foster.
This program is a unique partnership between a college of contemporary music and performing arts and an Ivy League University. Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a joint certificate from BerkleeICE and the Brown University Pre-College Programs. Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to permanently shift how you see yourself, to learn what it means to think like an entrepreneur, and to carry with you a lifelong ability to solve problems, analyze issues, and collaborate with others using your inherent creativity.
Core principles of this program include the following:
- Good listening and observation skills are central to both artists and successful innovators.
- The ability to present one’s ideas in thoughtful and clear ways promotes the creative process.
- Arts ensembles are environments for learning how to collaborate.
- Improvisation acts are analogous to the nimble instincts and experimentation of successful entrepreneurs.
- The recording process is a metaphor for synthesizing disparate parts into a comprehensive plan.
- Songwriting is used as a means of introducing the iterative and co-creation process that all ideas and products undergo, from concept to launch.
Cost and Session Information
The program will include a week with the Summer@Brown Pre-College Program on the Brown University campus in Providence, Rhode Island, and a week with BerkleeICE on Berklee's Boston, Massachusetts, campus. The program will culminate on the Berklee campus, with student teams pitching their final projects to a panel of top musicians, entrepreneurs, and community leaders.
Throughout the 13 days, you and your student team will work together to design a hands-on project, using entrepreneurial strategies to devise creative solutions to community and social issues.
Sunday, July 7– Saturday , July 13 at Brown University in Providence, RI
Saturday, July 13– Friday, July 19 at Berklee College in Boston, MA