Worcester Academy has been helping postgraduates grow and prepare for college since the 1930s. Today, WA enrolls 25-30 postgraduate (PG) students each year. Our PGs range in ability and talents, but their common trait is that they seek opportunities to develop the skills necessary to thrive in college.
As a Worcester Academy postgraduate student, you'll get a real-world education that will prepare you for college and life beyond. Whether it’s enhancing your academic record or building your athletic resume, you will grow in confidence, leadership ability and independence.
The top reasons high school seniors consider completing a postgraduate year / gap year at Worcester Academy include:
- Take another year to work hard and expand upon your college options.
- Continue to grow academically, take AP and Honors level classes to better prepare for college-level work, and improve your transcript and SAT/ACT scores for college.
- Improve athletically and/or artistically in a rigorous college-like environment.
- Experience living away from home in a structured, supportive school environment to mature through developing better time management and study skills.
- International students work on English skills and acclimate to American culture before applying to university.
Postgraduates choose their classes from the full range of courses available to students at WA that include over 40 honors and Advanced Placement [AP] options. Additionally, cross-curricular semester courses such as Intro to Engineering, Computer Science, Broadcasting, Robotics and more, offer the opportunity to explore real world subjects in an engaging project-based environment. It’s one year in a supportive yet empowering environment that can prepare you for the rest of your life.
Worcester Academy postgraduates continue their educations at an impressive and diverse group of colleges and universities including:
American, Assumption, Babson, Bentley, Boston College, Brandeis, Bucknell, Central Connecticut State, Colby, Holy Cross, Fairfield, Fordham, Indiana, Loyola Maryland, MIT, Northern Michigan, Ohio Wesleyan, Penn State, Princeton, Providence, Quinnipiac, Rutgers, Saint Anselm, Springfield, Stonehill, Texas A&M, Tufts, Tulane, Union, UConn, UDenver, UIllinois, UMass, UNew Hampshire, URhode Island, USouthern Maine, UToronto, UWashington, Valparaiso, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Worcester Polytechnic Institute and more.
Worcester Academy alums successfully graduate college on time. According to a Worcester Academy 2015 young alumni survey:
- 95% have or will complete their undergrad degree in 4-years or on-time for 5-year programs
- 91% of young grads have or plan to graduate from the college they first attended
- 89% say they were well-prepared for their college and were better prepared than their peers
We will customize an academic schedule for you based on your high school transcript and your college goals. Our curriculum offers you AP college credit courses, as well as college prep level courses with semester electives in the arts and humanities to round out your course load which must include a minimum of four core courses per semester.
We’ll offer you a structured study hall five nights a week with a mandatory introductory period (the first 6 weeks of classes) to help you improve study skills and to establish an effective routine. This structure is so effective that most of our postgraduate students opt to continue with their structured study even after the first six weeks of classes.
- You’ll be assigned a faculty advisor who will work closely with you to monitor and guide your academic and extracurricular activities and your personal development and welfare.
- You’ll meet weekly to discuss your progress both in and out of the classroom.
- You’ll receive expert guidance from our college counselors in a process that will place “fit” and your satisfaction at the center of the selection process.
- Our 1-to-1 laptop program will integrate technology into all of your courses.
- You’ll be part of a “dorm family” consisting of 5–10 dorm mates and an on-campus faculty “parent.” Your “family” will have weekly dinners where you’ll discuss social events, dorm life, goal setting, and more.
- Our very strong athletic teams compete at the NEPSAC Class A level.
TALENTED AND SUPPORTIVE MENTORS
In the classroom, you’ll be consistently challenged by the innovative teaching of an accomplished faculty, all within the framework of a classic college-preparatory curriculum. We believe that there are also many important life lessons to be learned outside of the classroom. Our leadership opportunities, arts, athletics, exciting extracurricular options, and community service requirement all will allow you to expand your understanding of yourself and your capabilities. Your postgraduate year of study will not only better prepare you for college, it will also provide you with the conviction to Achieve the Honorable throughout your life.
HISTORIC URBAN CAMPUS
A rich, fulfilling, urban residential life will complete your experience. You’ll learn to balance your class work and your study with a plethora of co-curricular pursuits. By spending a solid year growing together with your fellow postgrads in Massachusetts’ second largest city, you’ll learn not only independence, but also the skills necessary to live in a global learning community. You’ll form relationships with adult mentors and peers that will last throughout your life. Postgrads at Worcester learn to work to their full potential and learn to honor their responsibilities – to themselves and to their community. Will you join us?
Learning takes place in the classroom, across the campus, and through "Open Gates" to the world beyond. We get our postgraduates off campus and into the real world. Examples include visits to local universities and businesses related to class subjects like engineering and physics, community service to local public schools, soup kitchens, and our own Habitat for Humanity project, for athletic competitions as we compete at the highest level NEPSAC (New England Prep School Athletic Conference) and for social outings in our diverse city.
We're a student-centered school with an extraordinary faculty who will work with you to challenge yourself, discover yourself, and become the person you are meant to be. A Worcester Academy postgraduate year offers you the structure and support to help you get organized, the personal growth that helps you succeed in college, and the academic benefits of small class sizes and engaged faculty. Enhance your academic skills. Pursue your athletic interests. Follow your creative passions. Reinforce the values of respect, honor, and community. And when you're finished, you'll find yourself prepared for the real world of college and beyond.
Our campus is conveniently located in Worcester, Massachusetts – New England’s second largest city less than 1 hour from Boston and 2.5 hours from NYC. Our students experience the vitality, diversity and excitement of this city rich in heritage, culture and the arts. Additionally, our proximity to world-renowned educational institutions provide learning opportunities beyond the classroom that challenge young minds and nurture academic success.
Contact us to learn more.
Participant ReviewsWrite a Review
This program hasn't been reviewed yet. Write the first review!
"Even though I have only been here for 7 weeks, I already know joining the WA community is the best decision I have made in my life. Not only am I growing stronger academically and in basketball, I am becoming a better person. This is the one time in my life where I am excited to go to class and I am not scared to ask questions in class any more." -Lyle Logan, Class of 2016