In 1986, Frank and Nance Maguire had a dream of creating a school for children with unique learning profiles. Bringing their varied experiences and backgrounds in education and educational consulting to San Diego, the Maguires founded Excelsior Academy.
The Excelsior Way is a way of trusting, coping, living, and learning that guides each individual in the school community- from these principles, we developed the School-wide Learning Expectations (SLEs): respectful, responsible, literate, thinking, independent, and productive. Students who are successful at Excelsior are those children in grades K-12+ who may:
- Show unique learning profiles such as ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, nonverbal learning disorder, language disorders,, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, Autism Spectrum, Anxiety, Depression and others
- Have difficulties processing and expressing information
- Show intelligence, creativity, and talent
- Be at risk of being lost in larger classrooms; or may not be progressing in the traditional classroom setting
- Have the potential for achievement in higher education
- Have the potential for success in a career of their choosing
- Want to share a positive learning experience with understanding teachers and supportive classmates
- Need additional support and instruction in independent living skills, social skills, coping skills, etc.