Visitor Services volunteers help to provide a high level of customer service in welcoming visitors and providing them with an exceptional experience. The role is based in the Museum and Memorial Plaza.
The 9/11 Memorial & Museum welcomes millions of visitors each year. We are looking for volunteers to help us in our busy summer season to assist in Visitor Services. The mission of the Visitor Services division is to facilitate a meaningful experience at the 9/11 Memorial & Museum for every visitor. The Visitor Services team is charged with enhancing the visitor’s experience by exhibiting exceptional customer service, directing visitors as safely and efficiently as possible, and attending to visitor’s needs as they engage with the Memorial space and the Museum’s exhibitions, programs, and amenities.
Visitor Services volunteers help to provide a high level of customer service in welcoming visitors and providing them with an exceptional experience. The role is based in the Museum and Memorial Plaza. Duties include:
- To actively greet, welcome, and engage with each visitor, as needed, to enhance their visit.
- Inform visitors about this important historic location, the programs and exhibitions available, and the 9/11 Memorial Museum organization itself.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of the Museum’s daily operations.
- Be well versed in baseline information on the Museum’s artifacts, exhibitions and programs.
- Assist visitors with general directions and information within the museum, and in the surrounding Manhattan area, including services, and facilities.
- Assist visitors to engage in exhibition technologies in the Museum.
- Provide baseline assistance and information with Audio Guide rentals.
- Assist visitors in finding victims’ names on the Memorial parapets when requested by utilizing the Memorial name-finding kiosks or Apple/Android applications.
- Report any visitor concerns to supervisors quickly and efficiently.
- Assist in operational protocols to provide a safe experience for visitors.
- Other duties as assigned.
- We recommend 2 shifts (approx. 8 hours) every week for the summer, for 2-3 months.
- Shift times are as follows (subject to change): AM: (10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.), MID: (12:00 – 4:00 p.m.) PM: (2:00 - 6:00 p.m.).
- Provide communication via email at least 24 hours in advanced if unable to attend a shift.
- We request that you not to miss more than two shifts in the summer and we ask you make up any missed shifts within 2 weeks
- Follow the volunteer uniform guidelines (a vest, cap when outdoors and ID) which will be provided by the 9/11 Memorial.
- Adherence to all Memorial & Museum policies, procedures, and systems including health and safety protocols and world-class customer service standards.
- Be personable, polite, comfortable and friendly interacting with the public.
- Initiative to approach visitors Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to interact well with a wide range of visitors.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Able to stand for the entire shift.
- Flexibility to be posted at different locations in the Memorial and Museum.
- Must attend an online trainings in early Summer.
- Training will also be on-site.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Volunteers report directly to the VS Supervisory team
REASONS TO VOLUNTEER:
- Network and enhance your professional profile (resume plus, references given).
- Gain skills in customer service, teamwork and develop your interpersonal skills.
- Join a friendly team of volunteers.
This is a volunteer position. No academic credit or compensation is available. All applicants must be over 16 and submit to and pass a background check. The work environment is largely indoors but will also require outdoor Memorial tasks in all weathers. Volunteer posts will require the ability to stand for up to 4 hours at a time.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described in this description are representative of those that the volunteer will encounter and are expected to meet to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
How to Apply:
- Visit 911memorial.org/volunteer and complete an application form.
The National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center Foundation, Inc. is committed to workforce diversity. EEO.