- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Day, Residential
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: One Week, Four Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Performing & Visual Arts
- Sub-Categories: Multi-Arts, Filmmaking and Digital Media, College Application, Design, Fashion, Woodshop, Arts, Career Exploration, Photography, Art History, Painting & Drawing
- Selective: Yes
- Ages: 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Accreditation: American Camp Association
- Career Clusters: Education and Training
- Credit Awarded: No
- Call: (512) 471-1749
Take a step towards your creative future with ST.ART Pre-College at The University of Texas at Austin’s one-week and four-week Art + Design programs for teens. Immerse yourself in the creative process with daily classes highlighting both 2D and 3D processes, alongside focused concentrations of your choice designed to expand your art practice, grow your portfolio and help you prepare for college and beyond in the field of Art + Design.
ST.ART Pre-College Art + Design programs at The University of Texas at Austin aren’t just an opportunity to perfect traditional skills, it’s an open door for you to discover your own style and voice as an artist or designer. You'll get a taste of college life–living and studying on campus, in the heart of Texas at UT Austin with our one-week Zip ST.ART for rising 9th-11th graders or our four-week ST.ART Intensive for rising 11th-12th graders. Students in each program will work with our faculty of practicing artists and educators, guide students through new (and sometimes untraditional!) materials and processes with projects that challenge students to follow their intuitions, discovering and developing their own voice.
ST.ART Intensive – June 26 – July 23, 2022
ST.ART Intensive classes are designed for students to experiment with new and traditional materials, techniques and equipment. Students participate in core and concentration studio sessions Monday-Thursday and Fridays are reserved for studio time, ST.ART Artist-in-Residence sessions, and community critiques. Faculty will be available for office hours throughout the program for students to receive regular feedback and guidance on in-program works. Students will work to complete 2-5 artworks during the program, including a mini-series in their chosen concentration media. In and out of the classroom, students will work to develop a sketching routine and spend time considering process as part of their art + design practice. The program ends in a culminating ST.ART Showcase at the Visual Arts Center, featuring student works and open to friends and family.
Fast Facts about the ST.ART Intensive
- Four week program (Sunday, June 26 – Saturday, July 23, 2022)
- For rising juniors and seniors in high school (class of 2023 and 2024)
- Students choose to live and eat on campus or commute daily
- Lunch provided Monday-Friday for all students at campus dining halls
- Students attend daily studio sessions (aka classes) Monday-Thursday in the studios and classrooms at UT Austin's Art Building
- Fridays are for independent studio time, ST.ART Artist-in-Residence sessions, college admission prep sessions and community critiques
- Students showcase new artworks in a final exhibition at the end of the summer
- College admissions support and portfolio reviews available for all participants during and after the program
- Merit and need-based scholarships available!
Students further develop skills and generate new artworks in one area of focus through concentration studio sessions. Instructors guide students in new techniques and offer material demonstrations to lead students in personal and collaborative projects. Students will have the opportunity to work independently and develop artworks that further explore their chosen concentration and personal interests with the guidance of instructors and peers. Students select a concentration to focus on throughout the program application.
- Art History & Museum Studies
- Digital Media & Graphic Design
- Drawing & Painting
- Photography & Printmaking
- Sculpture & 3D Design
Student Life & Housing Options
ST.ART Intensive students may select to live and eat on-campus or commute daily during the four-week program.
Students may choose to live on campus during the four-week program. All residential students are housed in a UT Austin residence hall and enjoy most meals in campus dining halls. All students will be paired with a roommate and halls will be supervised by program staff, organized by gender. As a residential student, all activities and Austin adventures are included in the residential fee.
Students who live or have temporary housing in the Greater Austin area, can choose to commute to campus daily. Commuting students will check in and out of the program daily and lunch is provided Monday-Friday. All commuting students are invited to attend out of class museum visits and can participate in other activities and meals, for an additional fee.
Zip ST.ART – June 12-18, 2022
Make new friends and learn from practicing artists and designers through our week-long residential program for rising 9th, 10th and 11th graders in high school. Attend hands-on classes that will expand your portfolio’s breadth, improve traditional skills and explore nontraditional processes in a week of daily studio sessions designed to have you experimenting with new techniques and processes. Zip ST.ART invites students with varying experience to further develop skills in 2D and 3D processes. All students participate in their choice of two daily studio sessions. Studio Sessions are selected during the registration process on a space-available basis. Students will work to create 2-3 finished artworks during the program.
Fast Facts about Zip ST.ART
- One week (June 12-18, 2022) residential program in Austin, Texas
- For rising freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in high school (class of 2024, 2025, 2026)
- Program fee includes housing and meals from Sunday, June 12 at 2pm to Saturday, June 18 at 10am
- Students attend their choice of two studio sessions (aka classes) Monday-Friday
- Students participate in museum trips and Austin adventures outside of classes
- Merit and need-based scholarships available!
2022 Studio Sessions/Concentrations
Select two studio sessions and maximize your artistic exploration! Summer 2022 final studio sessions offerings will be announced in early 2022. Here’s the tentative list:
AM – 9:00am-Noon
Wearable Art & Textile Design
PM – 2:00-5:00pm
Animation & Digital Media
Bookmaking & Zines
Digital Photography & Image Manipulation
Sculpture & 3D Design
Still Life Drawing & Painting
Housing & Student Life
All Zip ST.ART participants live on campus during the one-week program, from Sunday at 2pm to Saturday at 10am. All students are housed in a UT Austin residence hall and enjoy most meals in campus dining halls. All students will be paired with a roommate and halls will be supervised by program staff, organized by gender. As a residential student, all activities and Austin adventures are included in the program fee.
Cost and Session Information
ST.ART Intensive – June 26 - July 23, 2022 (four-weeks)
- Application Fee – $35
- Tuition – $4000
Includes over 80 hours of instruction, some supplies, ST.ART t-shirt, participation in ST.ART Exhibition and fall 2022 portfolio & college admissions support.
- Residential Fee – $2000 (optional)
Includes overnight housing, activities, and all meals from Sunday, June 26th at 2pm CST to Saturday, July 23rd at 10am CST.
- Commuter Activity Fee – $400 (optional)
Includes participation in all evening and weekend activities and meals, unless otherwise noted in the activity schedule.
Zip ST.ART – June 12-18, 2022 (one-week)
- Program Deposit – $150
- Program Fee – $1500 (includes the program deposit)
Includes over 30 hours of instruction, some supplies, field trips and activities, housing and meals (from June 12 at 2pm – June 18 at 10am), and a ST.ART t-shirt.