We have a summer in Storrs for you! UConn Pre-College Summer Sports Medicine course provides high school students the opportunity to learn how to prevent, recognize, and treat sports related injuries at a nationally ranked public university campus. Find out more!..(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Marine Biology, Veterinary Medicine, Animals/Nature
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
- Credit Awarded: No
We have a summer in Storrs for you!
UConn's Pre-College Summer Pre-Vet: Marine Animal Health and Veterinary Science course provides high school students the opportunity to explore veterinary science through our virtual approach at both Mystic Aquarium and our nationally ranked public university campus.
Virtually immerse yourself in the marine world and explore your passions for veterinary science, animal care, animal training and research
This virtual course will be hosted from Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT where students will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the marine world and explore their passions for veterinary science, animal care, animal training and research. Throughout the course students will be interacting with aquarium research scientists, veterinarians, animal trainers and animal rescue professionals to understand the science behind their work. Virtual delivery provides the opportunity for students to view exhibits and behind the scenes areas not typically available, to participate in feeding and training sessions as well as animal exams.
Throughout this course students will participate in labs, tours and activities that will increase their scientific literacy in genetics, hematology, microbiology, pathology and anatomy. Students will learn about careers and education/career pathways directly from working professionals to understand if animal health and veterinary science is a desirable education and career path.
This class is meant to be immersive and students will experience:
- Learn about the wide variety of careers in animal health and veterinary science, from professionals in all stages of their careers.
- Participate in lab programs focused on hematology, microbiology, anatomy and pathology and learn how each is utilized to analyze an animal’s health.
- Observe feeding and training sessions with beluga whales, penguins and sea lions and have the opportunity to learn from and ask questions of their animal care teams.
- Virtually visit behind the scenes areas to view the animal care, research and veterinary staff at work. This will include a visit to the animal rescue clinic to understand the veterinary care of both animals at the aquarium temporarily for rehabilitation as well as animals permanently in our care.