Human Nutrition in the Pre-College Summer Program will give you an edge on health and a preview of nutrition that can impact a nation. If you have ever thought about health and how to improve the health of humans, a foundation in nutrition is essential...(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Biology, Chemistry
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $500 - $1,499
- Credit Awarded: No
We have a summer in Storrs for you!
UConn's Pre-College Summer Nutrition: Food Science and Technology course provides high school students the opportunity to explore the field of food science at a nationally ranked public university campus.
Explore the Science of Food
Understanding the science and technology behind food products helps us to make healthy food choices. Not only does this translate to our everyday lives, but it can also pave the way to an interesting career path that combines science, nutrition, healthy safety and best of all, food. The field of food science and technology includes food microbiology and safety, food quality assurance, food engineering and technology, food chemistry, product and formulation development, food packaging, sensory evaluation, food marketing, and food regulations.
This course is composed of in-class lectures and hands-on laboratory experiments to help students turn their knowledge of the principles of food science into practices as a food scientist. Upon completion of this course, students will be able to make healthy food choices by understanding scientific principles behind food preparation and processing.
This class is meant to be immersive and students will experience:
- Basic terminologies and concepts of food production
- Modern technologies used in the food industry
- Key practices to assure the quality, safety, and palatability of raw and cooked foods
- General facts and relevant food regulations that consumers should be aware of
- Career opportunities in the field of food and nutrition