- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Academic
- Sub-Categories: Journalism, Writing, Design, Fashion
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Application Deadline: 03/16/20
Get a hands-on experience with exciting new innovations in the fashion industry and examine how technology impacts a shopper’s relationship with clothing and accessories.
From fitness trackers to the in-home accessibility of 3D printers, the world of fashion is constantly evolving and becoming more personalized as it becomes more technical. This course explores the future of fashion by focusing on areas that are currently generating widespread public discourse. Students may consider topics such as wearable technology and sustainable fashion, to name a few.
After in-depth research and discussion in the classroom, as well as out in New York – a city known for its fashion entrepreneurs and start-ups — students will re-imagine their sense of how, why and where fashion is heading in the foreseeable future and will imagine and present a small capsule collection of clothing sketches inspired by their course research.
Summer Academy enables students to dive deep into a course of study, sharpening skills for their academic and professional futures. Each course is carefully designed to suit student interests and encourage intellectual curiosity.
• Students will learn basic fashion illustration skills to provide groundwork for expressing their individual design ideas.
• The course will include discussions and readings that explore cultural, technological, ethical and entrepreneurial aspects of fashion and the fashion industry.
• Students will create a portfolio of five to seven designs and inspirations for the future based on knowledge gained in the course and present their work on the last day of class.
• Possible virtual site visits include: The Costume Institute at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Museum of the Fashion Institute of Technology, British Fashion Council and fashion ateliers of streetwear brands
• Previous faculty and speakers include: Sarah Scaturro (Head Conservator, Costume Institute), Carol Squiers (Fashion Curator, International Center of Photography), Vanessa Friedman (Chief Fashion Critic, The New York Times), Stephanie Benedetto (co-founder of Queen of Raw and fashion industry insider), and April Johnson (founder and director of New York-based clothing line, Alasdair).
Please note: All information is subject to change at the discretion of The School of The New York Times.
Cost and Session Information
Term 1: June 7 - June 18
Term 5: August 2 - August 13
Tuition is $2850
*Listed program costs do not include course-specific lab and materials fees. Learn more on our website.