The Summer STEM Institute (SSI) is a virtual summer program for ambitious young scientists and leaders. Through the SSI Bootcamp, students learn the foundations of machine learning, data science, and research. Through the SSI Research Program, students conduct an interdisciplinary research project and write a full-length research paper under the guidance of a mentor. Students also participate in other enrichment activities, including a Masterclass lecture series and Weekend Challenges...(more)
- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June
- Session Length: Six Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: Bio Technology, Computer Science, Biology, Coding, Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence
- Selective: Yes
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: $1,500 - $2,999
- Career Clusters: Business Management and Administration, Health Science, Information Technology
The Summer STEM Institute (SSI) is a virtual summer program for ambitious young scientists and leaders. Through the intensive SSI Bootcamp, students learn the foundations of machine learning, data science, and research and how to apply techniques to their scientific fields of interest, whether it be biology or cybersecurity or environmental science. Over the summer, students also participate in other enrichment activities, including a Masterclass lecture series and Weekend Challenges.
Through the SSI Bootcamp, students learn how to design and conduct interdisciplinary data science research projects and apply machine learning to their scientific fields of interest. Students participate in two rigorous courses: Conducting Data Science Research and Programming for Data Science.
Masterclass Lecture Series
The Masterclass Lecture Series connects students to accomplished young adults across the world who share their experiences and advice for high school students on a variety of different topics. Students have the opportunity to learn about:
- Entrepreneurship from Forbes 30 Under 30 inductees
- Science research events and competitions from International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) grand prize winners
- Strategic application essay planning from students who have been admitted to top fellowships and universities
- And many more diverse topics from accomplished guest speakers!
Over the weekends, SSI hosts company-sponsored weekend challenges. Weekend challenges are hackathon-style competitions in which students are given the chance to compete in challenges designed around a specific problem a company sponsor has faced in the past. Each challenge is designed to help students develop valuable practical skills in a variety of fields, including networking, finance, and design. Top submissions for each challenge are recognized, and winning students are invited to a virtual dinner with the company CEO/founder.
The Summer STEM Institute (SSI) is admissions-based. There are two application cycles: Early Admissions and Regular Admissions. For more information and to apply, please visit the program website.
Cost and Session Information
The Summer STEM Institute (SSI) is a six-week virtual program for both domestic (U.S.) and international students. The 2022 program will take place from June 19th to August 1st, 2022. For more information on admissions, costs, and program dates, please visit the program website. Cost is not intended to be a barrier for participation, and generous financial aid is offered to those who apply.