- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: Costa Rica
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Session Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Other, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Entering Grade: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Community Service
- Selective: No
- Ages: 15, 16, 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
If you're interested in working with children, joining a conservation project, practicing your Spanish skills, and living in a gorgeous country, the Care & Conservation project in Costa Rica gives you the chance to combine all of these things!
Costa Rica is one of the most stable and well-developed countries in Central America, creating a great environment for volunteers who want to experience Latin America.
Joining a Projects Abroad volunteer project or internship will give you the chance to make a difference in developing communities. Whether you on a gap year, a summer abroad, or a career break, you will have a crucial role to play in the lives of the needy.
Costa Ricans – commonly called Ticos – are well known for their friendly hospitality. For over 60 years Costa Rica has been without an army and, unlike many neighboring countries, peace and stability has lasted. Costa Rica has a strong tourist industry based on eco-tourism and water sports, and time and effort has been dedicated to sustaining the wildlife and improving the standards of living.
While Costa Rica now leads the way in terms of ecotourism, many Costa Ricans still live in very basic conditions. The growth of tourism in the country has led to an increased demand for English speakers. Volunteers can have a meaningful impact in Costa Rica, whether you are helping youth have a brighter future though Care or Teaching projects, or preserving the environment for future generation by working at a national park.