Study art and design from anywhere in the world in this four-week, three-credit intensive program that includes a combination of synchronous and asynchronous online learning experiences. You'll study with Parsons' world-class faculty in real-time and benefit from hands-on project-based learning in small cohorts tailored to high-schoolers preparing to apply for college.
Students benefit from small class sizes and participate in unique virtual field trips, special guest lectures, and individual portfolio reviews. This program facilitates learning through a hands-on, project-based curriculum. Students select one interactive course in either Fine Arts and Design Explorations, which builds artistic skills in subjects including painting, photography, and graphic design, or Design Strategies, which provides an insider's view of design and management and fashion merchandising.
- Interior Design
- Graphic Design
- Media & Film Studies
- Product Design
What You'll Gain
- Deeper understanding of fine arts and design in a variety of specialized fields
- Technical and creative skills necessary for success in future art and design programs
- Three college creditsPortfolio preparation for admission to an art and design college
How You'll Learn
- Individualized instruction in both live and self-paced sessions
- One-on-one critiques and feedback from expert faculty members
- Community building through small class sizes
- Structured time away from the computer in which you investigate material for class assignments such as world events, social issues, and your own experiences and interests
What You'll Need
- A modern computer and mouse
- Headphones, a microphone, and a webcam
- A stable high-speed Internet connection
- A digital Camera (mobile device cameras are suitable)
- Students will have free access to Adobe Creative Cloud for Students
- Supplies on class list (estimated cost: $200)
The online program runs from July 17 through August 10, 2023, with 4.5 hours of creative programming each day, four days a week, Mondays-Thursdays. The combined synchronous/asynchronous online format program features core art and design courses, all for college credit, that focus on explorations of fine arts, design, design strategies, and portfolio development.
- Session Dates: July 17 - August 10, 2023 (Mondays - Thursdays)
All online courses are delivered in a combined synchronous/asynchronous format and meet from 11a.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET or 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ET. Please check the corresponding course time range in your time zone.
You may register for one course per session from our website. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Early registration is strongly encouraged. Students will be charged a non-refundable university fee.
Tuition: $4,350 plus fees
Registration deadline: TBD
Students enrolled earn grades and three college credits upon successful completion of the program. We strongly recommend that participants consult an academic advisor at their home institution for further details of approval, transfer, and fulfillment of graduation
Our pre-college Online Summer Intensive Studies program is for students ages 16-18*. We require that students are 16 by the start date of the program. Students who will turn 16 during or after the program will not be permitted to participate in the program with no exceptions. We recommend students under age 16 explore our non-credit on-campus course offerings in our Parsons Summer Academy (Grades 3–12) program, which runs during the first two weeks of August at our Greenwich Village campus.
* Students aged 18 with at least one full year of college enrollment may register for the New York Summer Intensive Studies (College & Adult) program, which will have three-week sessions in June and in July at our Greenwich Village Campus.
Attendance and Workload
Students meet online with faculty for synchronous instructional time (live meeting sessions) four days per week - Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays – for four weeks.
Students participate in the Monday through Thursday live meeting sessions with their faculty using video conferencing, the Canvas Learning Management System, and other interactive online learning tools; for 4.5 hours during each of the scheduled sessions, with a 30-minute break scheduled for mid-session. Between live sessions on Mondays through Thursdays, students participate individually in 1 to 1.5 hours of self-directed and paced asynchronous instructional time within the Canvas learning environment. Additionally, students are required to complete daily and weekly homework assignments.
Online class sizes are small, and students have opportunities to meet one-on-one with their professor each week and receive feedback on their progress. Courses include special guest lectures, events with the Parsons Admission team, portfolio reviews, and virtual field trips.
True to Parsons’ innovative learning style, this program incorporates structured time away from the computer during which students investigate world events, social issues, and personal experiences and interests as material for class assignments.
Language Requirement for International Students
International Students for whom English is not the primary language of instruction must demonstrate English language proficiency, as classes are taught in English. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 79 or higher on the Internet-based course, an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.5 or higher, or a DET (Duolingo English Test) score of 105 or higher is required. Visit TOEFL, IELTS, or DET for more information.