- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: South Africa
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Session Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Quarter, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Entering Grade: 11th, 12th, PG, College
- Gender: Coed
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Selective: No
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
Take a trip on the wild side on this exciting African conservation experience. Even better than a safari, this project immerses you fully in the role of an assistant game ranger on a private Big 5 game reserve. Work alongside some of the world’s most iconic animals as you help out around the reserve to promote the survival of African flora and fauna – think lions, elephants, zebra, giraffes, monkeys, rhinos, buffalos, cheetahs – and more!
This beautiful reserve is home to Africa’s impressive Big 5 – elephants, lions, rhino, Cape Buffalo and the elusive leopard. In addition to these famous African icons, you can also see zebra, hippos, giraffes, monkeys and baboons to name but a few.
The reserve is at the forefront of conservation:
and over 20,000 trees per year are planted to promote the many different habitats found here. This is the perfect place to experience wildlife conservation in South Africa, a country which is renowned for its amazing animals.
• Taking your first game drive and seeing your first animal – and then another, and another!
• African sunsets – a beautiful end to a wonderful day
• The moment when a herd of elephants wanders by as you work Beaches, bungees, shark cage diving, swimming, exploring – need we say more?
Eligibility: General level of fitness required
Cost and Session Information
Duration: 1 – 12 weeks
Dates: Arrivals throughout the year.
Arrival day: Monday
Return day: Saturday afternoon / Sunday