Yale Young Global Scholars invites students from over 150 countries and all 50 U.S. states to spend two weeks at Yale University attending an academic session of their choice.
Literature, Philosophy, & Culture session (LPC) is designed for students with an interest in the expression and interpretation of creativity and culturally significant texts.
Participants study fiction, philosophy, poetry, theater, film, music, visual arts, dance, and other creative arts.
Instructional staff will frame texts and media comparatively and internationally, enabling students to think more fluently about their places in the world and cultivate the skills to better articulate themselves in speaking and writing. Students will be presented with interdisciplinary and international perspectives and will consider the function of the arts and humanities when inspiring solutions to social problems and dilemmas.
Sample Seminar Offerings:
- Remembering Catastrophe, and Catastrophic Memories: The Philosophies and Politics of Articulating the Second World War
- To Tell in the Dark: Exploring the Macabre in Film Score, Literature, and Visual Art
- Black Feminisms and Popular Culture
- The World of Shamanism, or How Body Shapes a Belief
- Finding Mister Kurtz: Reading Heart of Darkness in the Twenty First Century
Is LPC a Good Fit for Me?
If you are intrigued by any of the following questions, then this session is a great choice:
• What makes an argument compelling? • In what ways can dance function as a political statement? • How do economics impact the production of art? • What potential for expression does music offer when words fail us? • Where does meaning come from in avant-garde film?
YYGS hopes to host on-campus and online sessions for June & July 2022, and we are working closely with our colleagues across Yale to evaluate options. We will provide timely updates regarding 2022 session offerings on our website.
Financial Aid & Scholarships:
YYGS provides over $3 Million USD in need-based financial aid to both domestic and international students that covers partial- or full-tuition discounts (up to 100% of tuition), as well as scholarships that cover travel assistance.