- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Destination: United States
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Provided By: Independent Provider
- Session Start: June, July
- Session Length: Two Weeks
- Entering Grade: 10th, 11th, 12th
- Gender: Girls Only
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Sub-Categories: Environmental Science
- Selective: No
- Ages: 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: Free
- Credit Awarded: No
Girls on Ice is a unique, FREE, wilderness science education program for high school girls. Two teams of 9 teenage girls and 3 instructors spend 11 days exploring and learning about glaciers and the alpine landscape through scientific field studies with glaciologists, ecologists, artists, and mountaineers.
Each June, a team of nine girls spends 12 days in the Eastern Alaska Range, exploring an alpine landscape. We experience everything from hiking through alpine meadows to observing a noisy icefall; from spotting caribou on the mountain slopes to traveling across snow-covered glaciers, all while taking advantage of Alaska’s long summer days!
The Girls on Ice Alaska program is held on Gulkana Glacier on Ahtna Nenn’, the traditional lands of the Ahtna people. The Gulkana Glacier is known to the Ahtna as C'ulc'ena' Luu' or ‘cutting stream glacier,’ which Girls on Ice Alaska participants will see is a perfect description of the dramatic stream flowing from the glacier just a short hike from camp.