- Listing Type: Summer Programs
- Program Delivery: Online
- Provided By: College
- Session Start: July
- Session Length: Three Weeks
- Entering Grade: 11th, 12th
- Gender: Coed
- Category: STEM
- Sub-Categories: College Experience, Forensic Science, Pre-Med, STEM, Bio Technology, Biology, Sports Medicine
- Selective: No
- Ages: 16, 17, 18
- Minimum Cost: > $3,000
- Call: (617) 358-3034
Academic Immersion (AIM): Introduction to Medicine is an intensive three-week pre-medical program.
Offered in partnership with the Department of Medical Sciences & Education at the Boston University School of Medicine, AIM's pre-medicine track provides a broad introduction to the field of medicine, combining coursework in related sciences with project-based learning activities and explorations of the various career possibilities that exist within the field.
In the mornings, you will attend seminars led by BU instructors that focus on three core topics: anatomy and physiology, infectious diseases, and contemporary issues in medicine. In the afternoons on week one, you will engage with material that will introduce you to what medical students experience in the early phase of their education, including:
- Virtual didactics of fundamental topics in medicine
- Clinical case studies
- Discussion sections on various medical fields and public health issues
- Workshops led by different medical professionals, such as genetic counselors or radiologists
- Meetings with medical students and graduate students who will share their postgraduate experiences in the sciences with you
In the afternoons of the last two weeks of the program, you will engage in a project-based activity focusing on an emerging issue in public health.
The educational goals of the program are to:
1) Deepen your understanding of the academic science behind medicine
2) Provide you with opportunities to engage with graduate medical students
3) Introduce the range of professional possibilities that exist within the medical field.
There are plenty of remote social activities to make sure everyone becomes familiar with BU and each other! You can participate in scheduled group activities and will be able to mix it up and join students in our other programs for a variety of scheduled remote events.
Cost and Session Information
Program dates: July 26 – August 13
Program Fee: $4,940
(All tuition and fees for Summer 2021 are pending approval.)
*Please note: a $300 non-refundable deposit (applied to tuition) is required once a student commits to attending AIM in order to secure a place in the track.
All AIM participants are responsible for paying a $60 student services fee in addition to the program fee, which includes tuition, course materials, and all remote activities during the three-week program.
The application fee ($50) and spending money are not included in the total charge.
There is no financial aid for the AIM program.