- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Cambodia, China, Laos, Thailand
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: College
- Program Length: Semester
- Start Month: February, September
- Category: Travel/Cultural Immersion
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay, Other
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Minimum Cost: $10,000 - $20,000
Examine issues of transboundary resource management within Southeast Asia’s largest river basin, explore diverse belief systems, and participate in community-driven learning service. Suggested for ages 17-22, with college credit available.
- Experience rural village life in a Tibetan, Lao, Thai and Cambodia homestays participating in the daily rhythms of each place.
- Trek in arid Himalayas and humid wet tropics exploring hot springs, glaciers and waterfalls.
- Meet with community members to learn about the reality of Mao’s Cultural Revolution, The Secret War and Pol Pot’s Regime.
- Witness the negative impacts of large-scale hydro-power dam developments ecological systems.
- Explore the diverse range of spiritual beliefs and religions within the Mekong catchment including: Tibetan Buddhism, Taoism, Theravada Buddhism, Mahayana Buddhism, Animism, Catholicism and Islam.