- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: United Kingdom
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Program Length: Six Weeks, Semester
- Start Month: February, March, September, November
- Category: Academic
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Student Apartment
- Application Deadline: 07/12/21
- Application Fee: $50
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships
- Minimum Cost: $10,000 - $20,000
- Call: +1 (646) 665-1861
Begin your journey of self-discovery at the center of the art world. This program is ideal for students who are passionate about the wider arts and want to embark on a journey of self-discovery and cultural immersion.
Built around the unrivaled access of Sotheby’s Institute of Art, the Gap program invites curious students to explore London and the art world.
This program introduces students to a world of creativity, culture, business, and opportunity in the heart of London: a historic, cosmopolitan and thriving capital city. Designed for students aged 18-21, the program provides unique opportunities for students to broaden their perspectives, meet new people, develop an intimate understanding of the art world, and discover their place within it.
All our Gap programs are built around the three pillars of Personal Development, Professional Exploration and Intellectual Discovery. Our Hybrid Gap allows students to pursue the first 4 weeks of their program from the comfort of their own home, before coming to London for either 2 intensive weeks or an 8-week face-to-face immersion in London. Our full face-to-face program gives students the opportunity to spend either 6 or 12 weeks with us on a full-time residential program.
Living and learning in London, at least for a short period, is integral to the Sotheby’s Institute Gap experience. During their residential program, students will be introduced to life in a creative world capital. From visits to some of London’s major cultural venues – the British Museum, Tate Modern, the Historic Royal Palaces and Barbican Centre – to talks and workshops led by experienced professionals in the public and commercial art worlds — auctioneers, gallerists, curators, artists, private collectors — students will take full advantage of the richness and nuanced layers of the London art scene.
- Learn delicious and authentic recipes from around the world with an international cooking class at a historic venue in London
- Develop professional skills with a Live Brief project set by, and presented to, industry specialists
- Get behind the scenes access to the world of Sotheby’s Auction House and visit exclusive previews followed by specialist led discussions
- Visit an artist studio in South London and try your hand at portraiture painting
- Get inside knowledge on how to develop your professional profile, with CV and LinkedIn workshops led by top art world recruiters
- Explore arts and culture beyond the city, with a tour of the Oxford Colleges, a visit to seaside town Margate, and venture to the south-west city of Roman-built baths and stunning Georgian architecture
- Take an expert-led tour of an influential art fair to explore new and emerging talent from the most significant international galleries
- Learn about the technical study and conservation of medieval artworks with a Painting Fellow at The National Gallery
- Undertake a workshop with a renowned art magazine to learn how to review, critique, comment and analyse contemporary art for your audience
- Take a tour of the East End galleries, from artist run spaces to blue-chip establishments, and discover how to talk about contemporary art
Cost and Session Information
Program takes place entirely in-person at our London campus.
Session 1: Feb 14 – Mar 25, 2022
Session 2: Mar 28 – May 6, 2022
Sessions 1 + 2: Feb 14 – May 6, 2022
Fall 2022Applications open November 15
First 4 weeks of program takes place online with the remainder of the program provided in-person at our London campus.
Fall 2021 only
Session 1: Sept 20 – Oct 29, 2021
Sessions 1 + 2: Sept 20 – Dec 10, 2021
Residential Program Offered in Fall 2021 and Spring 2022
6 Weeks: £10,950
12 Weeks: £19,950
Hybrid Program Offered only in Fall 2021
6 Weeks: £7,450
12 Weeks: £16,950