- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: South Africa
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Program Length: Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Quarter, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Academic
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Cabins, Dorm, Homestay, Other
- Financial Aid: Not Available
Live the life of a mobile vet on this veterinary internship in South Africa. On the move between game reserves, farms and veterinary clinics, gain a valuable insight into veterinary work abroad in a developing country.
The pre-vet internship is highly practical, immersing you in the life of a mobile vet and offering some unrivalled veterinary experience abroad. The project is divided into four main sections, which you will alternate between throughout your stay:
• Veterinary experience with African wildlife: working in game reserves with animals such as rhino, buffalo, lions, antelope and zebra, amongst others.
• Veterinary work with agricultural livestock: assisting on livestock farms to improve the well-being of animals in commercial farming such as beef and dairy cattle, sheep and goats, pigs and chickens.
• Animal care work in the domestic setting: visiting rural villages, township settlements and a veterinary clinic to work with local dogs and cats.
• Helping out at a veterinary clinic: observing the work of the resident vet and assisting as required.
What previous veterinary experience do I need?
• This wildlife veterinary internship Africa requires that interns are working towards their university studies as a minimum. Many people use this internship to gain experience for university applications
• Many participants are in their first year of veterinary studies
• All participants must at least have some work experience with animals
• A separate veterinary internship course is run for students who are already, or who will be, in their second and third year of veterinary studies at the time of departure.