- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Argentina, Canada, Chile, India, Mexico, New Zealand, Sweden, United States, Tanzania, Multiple Locations
- Program Delivery: Residential
- Credit Awarded: High School, College
- Program Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Four Weeks, Academic Year, Semester, Quarter, Three Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Outdoor Adventure
- Selective: No
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 17, 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay, Other, Tents
- Accreditation: Gap Year Association - Program
- Financial Aid: Grants/Scholarships, Payment Terms
A gap year with NOLS offers opportunities to develop leadership skills, gain global perspective, explore the wilderness, and learn from the best. Explore our worldwide campuses in East Africa, India, Patagonia, and Mexico in addition to various locations throughout the U.S. If your passion is wilderness medicine, service, or backpacking, come see what NOLS has to offer for your gap year plans.
Take time for your future on a NOLS gap year. NOLS created the original wilderness semester and we continue to lead the way - just like our graduates. On any semester or year course, learn multiple outdoor skills and gain in-depth leadership skills through an extensive hands-on progression guided by your instructors.
We prepare students for school, teamwork and life through a proven curriculum. Using an extensive hands-on approach, NOLS instructors teach expedition skills such as rock climbing, backpacking, sea kayaking, mountaineering, and wilderness medicine, paired with experiential learning in leadership and decision-making. Choose from a classic 30-day wilderness expedition or an immersive semester.
Whereever in the world you travel with NOLS, you will emerge with confidence, competence, direction, courage and perspective.