- Listing Type: Gap Year Programs
- Destinations: Costa Rica
- Program Length: One Week, Two Weeks, Six Weeks, Four Weeks, Two Months, Three Weeks, Five Weeks
- Start Month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
- Category: Environmental Conservation
- Selective: Yes
- Gender: Coed
- Ages: 18, 19+, 19
- Housing: Homestay
- Minimum Cost: < $1,000
A perfect program for all animal lovers 18 and over who are opting for a gap year abroad, this wildlife conservation and rescue center volunteering experience in Costa Rica will let you stay close to nature and spend your days with animals and birds in a unique manner. Duration is 1 to 8 weeks.
- Excellent opportunity for you to live amidst nature and work for the welfare of birds and animals.
- Enjoy the richness of the biodiversity and explore the Amazon Rainforests.
- Explore the vast stretches of golden sandy beaches and the picturesque sunsets.
- Opt for adventure trips to Arenal Volcano and explore several other eco-reserves.
- Immerse yourself in the Costa Rican culture and live life to the fullest, like a true 'Tico'!
As a volunteer, you'll have to mainly work with animal victims of repossession, loss of habitat and accidents from all corners of the country who are brought in by local officials. Once their conditions revive and they are in good health, they'll be released back into their natural habitat.
Your main roles and responsibilities are:
- Work with the staff as they take care of the injured animals.
- Look after the animals, prepare food for them and feed them whenever needed.
- Cleaning the animals sheds as well as the entire green area.
- Maintain the ecological balance of the area.