Raleigh Expedition, is an international volunteering program open to all and engaging young people from around the world.
Expedition is delivered by the youth-driven development charity, Raleigh International. We have more than 37 years of expertise in working with young people.
Make an impact this year
Unfortunately, due to the impact of Covid-19, we had to cancel our 7 and 10 week Expedition programs taking place from October to December in Costa Rica, Tanzania, and Nepal.
However, now more than ever, the communities and partners we work with need our support. So, we are exploring the potential to run 5 week programs from November to December in Costa Rica and/or Nepal, provided it is safe to do so.
While the global context is currently uncertain and complex, there are signs of improvement. We believe that these later date programs will give us extra time to prepare and review the situation, whilst the world adapts. Providing us with the knowledge and insight needed to deliver safe programs for our volunteers.
We believe young people everywhere are able to change the world. So, we create youth-driven change that lasts. We empower young people with the skills, experience and connections to be leaders of change. One of the ways we do this is through our international volunteering program, Raleigh Expedition.
Raleigh Expedition is one of the first UK programs to be accredited by the Gap Year Association (GYA) and recognized by TeenLife as a Top 15 most popular Gap Program in 2020.
What will I do on the 5 week program?
The program is designed for volunteers to maximise their impact in a short period of time. As a general indication (subject to change), the itinerary will likely include:
• 4 day induction training upon arrival in country.
• 4-10 days Adventure Leadership Trek, followed by a short rest and debrief period.
• 14-23 days on a Community or Environmental project.
• 1 day end of Expedition phase before ending the program.
When and where will the programs run?
• Costa Rica: departures between 9-18 November / returning home between 9-17 December
• Nepal: departures between 13-23 November / returning home between 16-26 December
Please note these are indicative dates only. All dates will be confirmed in early September.
Who are these programs for?
Do you have unlimited passion but limited time? If you want to make a meaningful impact while traveling abroad during a short school or career break, then this programme may work for you. Even a few weeks of your time can be incredibly beneficial to the communities we work with while giving you the opportunity to explore a new country and culture and to start building the world that you want to see.
If you do have more time and want to do a longer program in 2021, we will be running 7 and 10 week Expeditions in Costa Rica, Nepal and Tanzania that you can apply for now.
When will you decide if the program goes ahead?
You can reserve a provisional place on the program now without paying a deposit.
Once we have undertaken a thorough review of our criteria to run safe Expeditions, we will let you know by 7 September 2020 (at the latest) if the program will go ahead.
How will we keep volunteers safe?
We are constantly monitoring and assessing the situation in Nepal and Costa Rica. We have permanent staff in each country that are in contact with local governments, embassies, and other authorities. We will only go ahead with these shorter programs when we know that we can maintain our high standards of safety and risk management. We will be working to review and update our operational protocols in the next few months to ensure we can work safely.
I am interested – what do I do next?
Right now running the 5 week program is provisional and we will confirm whether it will go ahead in September. If you’re excited by the prospect of joining the program, get in touch and we will add your name to our list of volunteers interested and keep you updated:
• Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, best contact phone number and country of interest (Nepal or Costa Rica).
• Or call us on +1 833-660-9738
Cost and Session Information
5 week Expedition: $3,600
With Raleigh there are no hidden or extra costs. We include much more than other providers because over the last 30 years we have learnt that a high-quality program, including safety, in-country support, and working with communities as real partners has better outcomes for all of us.
- Airport welcome and all transfers to and from the airport in your destination country.
- Premium, tailored travel and health insurance.
- Leading safety expertise supported by our British standard 8848 safety accreditation.
- All food and accommodation throughout your Expedition.
- All in-country transport costs to project and trekking locations.In-country Director and staff team, including medics, providing 24 hour support, planning and in-country partnerships with Government, INGO’s and local project partners.
- UK operations team providing planning, medical, safety and security support with 24-hour back up to country offices.
- Raleigh Volunteer Managers living with volunteers 24/7.
- Experienced trekking guides.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and support.
- All necessary project training by experienced staff.
- All project equipment, supplies and tools.
- Project evaluations and impact reporting against the sustainable goals framework.
- Post-Expedition alumni membership, services and discounts.
- Location orientation and immersion into local cultures.
- Placement in an international team of volunteers.
What’s not included?
- Personal belongings (for example rucksack, walking boots, sleeping bag etc.)