Map the Gap International (MTGI) is for high school graduates who dare to look beyond the traditional path. MTGI offers such "gap year" opportunities through exciting learning and service experiences abroad.
Map the Gap International - Mexico Gap Year Program
Nestled in the Sierra Madre mountains, over 6,000 feet above sea level, Guanajuato, Mexico is a UNESCO world heritage site, and has been described as the most picturesque city in Mexico. Home to some of the world’s most productive silver mines, Guanajuato is also rich with culture, history, and a warm, welcoming population. Narrow, winding cobblestone streets will lead you to hidden plazas, beautiful churches, and colorful outdoor markets as you explore the city’s innumerable attractions and practice your developing Spanish skills.
With some estimates putting as much as 40% of the Mexican population below the poverty line, the need for aid and service in the region is great.
- Opportunities for gap year students to make a difference include: Teaching English and creating beautification projects at a boarding school for disadvantaged girls
- Building adobe ovens for the rural poor
- Providing child care for residents of a shelter for abused women
- Participating in re-forestation and irrigation projects
- Being a teacher’s assistant at a daycare center for children of low-income working mothers
- Aiding local struggling families in their development of ecologically-responsible businesses selling local organic agricultural products
You’ll also have time to explore the local silver mines, learn to make authentic tortillas, browse the ceramic stores of local artisans, and enjoy the many local fiestas and their accompanying firework displays. You’ll visit the birthplace (now museum) of artist Diego Rivera, hike to the summit of Guanajuato's legendary mountain, "La Bufa," and enjoy its spectacular views of the city, and take day trips to other cities such as San Miguel de Allende, with its historical attractions and nearby hot spring spas! The program includes 8-10 excursions such as these.