Blue Hill Observatory Science Center was established to expand the mission of the Observatory to focus on increasing public understanding of, and appreciation for atmospheric science.
Blue Hill Observatory Science Center opened in 1999 at the site of the Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory. The Observatory opened February 1, 1885 by founder Abbott Lawrence Rotch. He owned it until 1912 and then bequeathed it to Harvard which owned it until 1971 and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has owned the property since then. The National Weather Service has had a presence since the 1940s. All of the operators have maintained a meticulous system of gathering weather data using the same tools and techniques for the entire period. We also use the most modern techniques available. The Science Center opened as part of a Historic Buildings renovation which was done in the 1990s. The building is a National Historic Landmark. We are a not-for-profit organization dedicated to maintaining the collection of homogeneous weather and climate data at Blue Hill and educating people of all ages about Weather, Climate and Atmospheric Science study. We are funded by a combination of member dues, individual donations, corporate support including grants, donations and sponsorships, program fees, gift shop sales and other fund raisers. Volunteers are an important part of the operation as that is how we can accomplish more on a small budget. We are on Facebook, Twitter and www.bluehill.org